Strength Based, Community Focused Education:
The Ocean Heroes mission is to provide engaging, strength based learning environments that connect youth to each other, our oceans and their coastal waters so they can become leaders and stewards for their coasts, communities and families.
In keeping with the New Jersey Student Learning Standards for Science the Ocean Heroes beach sessions integrate the physical, life and earth sciences present in all beach environments. The learning experiences created for the students incorporate the dimensions of science practices, disciplinary core ideas and crosscutting concepts to foster critical thinking and problem solving skills in real-world experiences.
Areas of learning include:
1. Capacity Building – Teaching skills that are valuable for sustainable well-being and lifelong development in the areas of aquatic safety and recreation
2. STEM Career Development – Exposing students to core information and concepts in the areas of oceanography, meteorology, climatology, marine sciences and conservation
3. Leadership and Strength Based Growth – Demonstrating the integration of individual decision making and group actions that create community embedded protective factors in aquatic or coastal environments
4. Community Ties – Developing relationships and creating potential for success through student interactions with external educators, business leaders, safety agencies, non-profits and inspirational individuals in their community
5. Improved Health and Physical Development – Introducing surf lifesaving, aquatic sports and recreation as lifelong activities
We want to explore with you how Ocean Positive's Ocean Heroes program can benefit your school's or organization's youth and teachers.